The Office of the President expressed concerns over the continued presence of China’s biggest coast guard vessel dubbed as the “Monster Ship” within the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone (EEZ).
Executive Secretary Lucas Bersamin said the government continues to monitor and challenge China’s incursion into the Philippine territory.
“We view it with concern. This is how it is so far, we have been challenging the presence of that monster ship. Our Coast Guard has been very alert in tracking and challenging the presence of that monster ship” Bersamin said in an interview.
Bersamin viewed the situation as an operational matter but clarified that the government has mechanisms to address the disputes.
The Palace emphasized that the government has on going diplomatic efforts to manage maritime disputes with China.
On Saturday the Chinese Coast Guard Vessel 5901 was seen 54 nautical miles from Capones Island in Zambales and on Monday it was sighted at 148 nautical miles away from Lubang Island Occidental Mindoro.
According to the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG), China seems to be ignoring the country’s request to leave the area and still maintain its “illegal presence” in the Philippine territory.
PCG Spokesman for West Philippine Sea Commodore Jay Tarriela said that based on their observations of the Chinese ship – its movement does not show “innocent passage but rather asserts that it is conducting a law enforcement operation, claiming jurisdiction over these waters as belonging to the Peoples’ Republic of China”.
The PCG deployed its biggest ship, the BRP Cabra (MRRV-4409) along with a helicopter and caravan aircraft to shadow the monster ship.
CCG 5901 is five times bigger than PCG’s BRP Cabra and considered to be the biggest coast guard vessel in the world.
(PCG photo)

Abner is an award-winning journalist. He received the prestigious 2015 Titus Brandsma Award for Community Communication in the Philippines and participated in the 2016 International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP) of the United States of America, sponsored by the US Embassy in the Philippines. Founder of WATCH NORTH COTABATO, a media-citizens’ transparency group. He worked as a correspondent for the Philippine Daily Inquirer and CNN Philippines. His experience in broadcasting includes anchoring for Brigada News FM in Kidapawan and General Santos City and Brigada News TV. He anchors Tira Brigada via 105.1 Brigada News FM Manila, Mondays-Saturdays.