Police cleared two state universities in southern Negros Occidental after both campuses received bomb threats just minutes apart on Wednesday night, November 19.
Himamaylan deputy chief of police Lieutenant Peter Genovia said the student publication of West Visayas State University (WVSU)–Himamaylan received a message at 8:55pm claiming an explosive had been planted on campus.
Minutes later, a message alleging a bomb at the Education Building was sent to a personnel of Central Philippines State University (CPSU) in Kabankalan City.
Kabankalan deputy chief of police Captain Sammy Gasataya said investigators completed the sweep and verification at around 1am the following day.
CPSU later issued an official statement saying the threat was cleared by 2:32am after thorough inspection by the Kabankalan police, the Bacolod City Explosive Ordnance Disposal K9 Unit, and the university’s security office.
CPSU said, “The university’s Management Information System Office is currently conducting further investigations related to the incident. The university assures its stakeholders and the public of its unwavering commitment to ensuring safety and maintaining calm within the community.”
WVSU suspended classes as a precaution, while CPSU continued its regular schedule.
The incident came days after schools in Iloilo received the same string of threats, which triggered officials to launch a digital manhunt to hold culprits accountable.
Meanwhile, authorities both in Negros and in Iloilo are now tracing the source of the threats and working to identify the sender.*
Reymund Titong is a Filipino journalist steadily building his voice in the field of news reporting, driven by a commitment to tell meaningful and relevant stories.
He serves as a correspondent for Rappler, maintains a personal blog on Medium, and is the communications officer of Hope Builders Organization Negros Island.