Tourism leadership changes as Marcos reassigns Frasco to Palace post

President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has reassigned Tourism Secretary Christina Garcia-Frasco to a new advisory role in Malacañang focused on strengthening communities against economic and environmental disruptions.

Malacañang announced Thursday that Frasco will serve as Presidential Adviser for Sustainable and Resilient Communities, a position under the Office of the President (OP).

Presidential Communications Office (PCO) Undersecretary Claire Castro clarified that Frasco did not resign from the Department of Tourism (DOT) but was transferred to the new post as part of a reassignment.

Read More:  ‘I still have the floor!’ Pangilinan, Padilla clash inside Senate chamber

According to the Palace, Frasco’s new role will involve helping communities nationwide prepare for hazards and disruptions that threaten local economies and livelihoods.

Frasco previously led the DOT’s programs supporting tourism enterprises and strengthening partnerships with local government units to promote tourism development.

With Frasco’s reassignment, Tourism Undersecretary Verna Buensuceso will serve as officer in charge of the department.

Castro said Malacañang has yet to confirm whether Special Trade Representative to Tokyo Dita Angara-Mathay will be appointed as the next tourism secretary, noting that no official appointment papers have been released.

Read More:  Slain rebels in southern Negros responsible for 26 civilian killings since 2025, Army says

“Hindi po ako makapagbibigay ng detalye sa ngayon. Hindi pa nagbibigay ng papel,” Castro told reporters.

“Hindi ko puwede unahan kung ano ang magiging anunsyo ng Pangulo,” she added.

Frasco’s tenure as tourism chief had recently drawn criticism after tourism promotional materials prominently featured her image, including on a magazine cover, prompting some industry observers and online commentators to question whether the campaign highlighted the official more than the country’s destinations.*