The Independent Commission for Infrastructure (ICI) has referred dozens of individuals to authorities over alleged irregularities in massive flood control projects and has begun submitting evidence to the Office of the Ombudsman.
On Thursday, March 12, the commission delivered truckloads of documents gathered during its fact-finding mission, with ICI executive director Brian Hosaka supervising the transmittal of the records.
Hosaka did not disclose details about the documents.
The commission earlier reported that it had already referred nine cases involving 65 individuals to the Office of the Ombudsman in connection with the alleged flood control anomalies.
The ICI also coordinated with the Department of Justice (DOJ) to request the issuance of immigration lookout bulletins against 55 individuals implicated in the controversy.
President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. earlier said the commission had already completed most of its mandate, noting that investigators had already carried out much of the work on the flood control probe.
Speaking during a press briefing in New York as he concluded his working visit on Tuesday, March 10, Marcos said the commission was already consolidating its findings and preparing its final report.
“Right now, what the ICI is doing is collating all of their findings. They are also writing their final report. I think it’s done already,” the President said.
Malacañang said Marcos is still reviewing the commission’s 125-day accomplishment report, which the ICI submitted on Feb. 6.
Marcos said the commission is now transmitting its findings either to the DOJ or the Office of the Ombudsman for further action.
“What will happen afterwards is, let us see what else they can do, but for now their brief has already been fulfilled,” he added.
Retired Justice Andres Reyes now serves as the commission’s only remaining member after the resignation of the other commissioners.
Despite limited manpower and resources, the commission said it achieved “substantial and measurable results” during the investigation.*
Reymund Titong is a Filipino journalist steadily building his voice in the field of news reporting, driven by a commitment to tell meaningful and relevant stories.
He serves as a correspondent for Rappler, maintains a personal blog on Medium, and is the communications officer of Hope Builders Organization Negros Island.