Government in full alert as 31 OFWs repatriated from Israel-Iran conflict zone, Caunan confirms safety funds are secured

The Philippine government has launched a voluntary repatriation program for overseas Filipino workers caught in the escalating conflict between Israel and Iran, officials from the Department of Migrant Workers said Tuesday.

Overseas Workers Welfare Administration Chief Patricia Yvonne Caunan said assistance will be extended to all OFWs, regardless of legal status. Speaking at a press briefing, she said all returning workers will be given full support under the directive of President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr.

OFWs from Israel arrive safely in Manila

The first batch of repatriated workers — 31 OFWs — arrived in Manila on Tuesday night. According to DMW Undersecretary Felicitas Bay, the group included 26 individuals from Israel who crossed into Amman, Jordan, three from Amman, and one from the West Bank. One additional OFW from Qatar was also accounted for, bringing the total to 31.

Bay confirmed that Secretary Hans Leo Cacdac and Assistant Secretary Venecio Legaspi were on-site to coordinate logistics and personally assess conditions in the affected areas.

Read More:  NBI names Sen. Padilla person of interest in Sen. Bato search

The repatriation was briefly delayed due to airspace restrictions in Qatar following missile attacks from Iran, forcing changes in flight arrangements.

Bay reported that 311 OFWs in Israel have requested repatriation so far. Of that number, only 96 have confirmed, while others continue to weigh their options due to safety risks and employer obligations.

Reintegration and financial aid programs in motion

Each repatriated OFW will receive PHP150,000 in financial assistance, food, hygiene kits, psychological counseling, and temporary housing. Caunan stated that more than 470 OFWs still in Israel have already been provided aid on the ground.

DMW Assistant Secretary Dominique Rubia-Tutay explained that reintegration efforts are underway, coordinated across several government agencies. Programs include job placement by DOLE, upskilling through TESDA, and livelihood packages from DTI, DA, and DOST.

Read More:  OSG seeks dismissal of Marcos drug test petition

Tutay said reintegration goes beyond employment and includes sustainable livelihood and entrepreneurship options to help affected workers regain stability in the Philippines.

The DMW and OWWA are working jointly to ensure that all returnees are supported as they transition back home. Authorities urged OFWs to reach out via the DMW-OWWA hotline 1348 or their verified social media channels.

Caunan reassured the public that government resources are ready and sufficient. She pointed to the OWWA Emergency Repatriation Fund and the DMW Action Fund as financial lifelines in this operation.

She reminded the public to depend only on official sources and to avoid spreading unverified information online.

With additional batches scheduled for repatriation on June 26 and 27, authorities are now preparing for what could become the largest government-led OFW retrieval effort this year.

But uncertainty looms as hundreds of Filipinos remain undecided in a region growing more volatile by the day.