Signal jamming off the table for Dinagyang, says Iloilo City mayor

Iloilo City Mayor Jerry Treñas has decisively blocked the Iloilo City Police Office’s (ICPO) proposal to impose signal jamming during this year’s Dinagyang Festival, citing the need to balance public safety with the essential role of uninterrupted mobile communication for businesses and residents.

In a statement released on January 8, Treñas acknowledged the ICPO’s aim to enhance festival security but stressed that reliable mobile connectivity is crucial for smooth business operations and emergency services throughout the event.

“While we recognize the importance of safety, we cannot overlook the indispensable role that mobile communication plays in ensuring the success of this festival,” a portion of the statement read.

Read More:  Young motorists continue illegal street racing in General Santos City

Treñas pointed out that many businesses, from app-based services to retail, depend on stable mobile signals, especially during high-traffic events like Dinagyang.

Past instances of signal jamming, he noted, caused significant disruptions not only within Iloilo City but also in surrounding areas, including neighboring towns and even Guimaras.

“Mobile communication is necessary not only for personal interactions but also for ensuring the smoothness of business transactions, the promptness of emergency services, and the efficiency of public safety measures during the festival,” he added.

Read More:  20-year-old caretaker killed in Cebu robbery case

This marks the second consecutive year that Treñas has rejected the ICPO’s request. Last year, similar complaints were voiced by residents and business owners who felt the disruptions undermined the festival experience.

On January 6, Joy Fantilaga, the spokesperson of Treñas, said that the mayor would likely veto the proposal unless the ICPO could limit the signal jamming to specific, high-density areas such as the street dance competition zones.

Police Major Shella Mae Sangrines, the ICPO spokesperson, responded by expressing respect for the mayor’s decision and assured that they would implement alternative security measures to protect festival-goers without affecting mobile services.