NPA leader killed in clash with troops in Camarines Norte

An alleged leader of the New People’s Army was killed during a clash with government troops in Camarines Norte early Feb. 10, 2026, as military operations intensified in the Bicol region, authorities said.

Around 15 NPA members engaged soldiers during a focused military operation conducted by the 902nd Infantry Brigade at Sitio Malunay, Barangay Colasi in the town of Mercedes. The operation was led by the 93rd Division Reconnaissance Company with support from the 42nd and 81st Infantry Battalions and the Philippine National Police Mobile Force Company.

Read More:  Transgender woman alleges discrimination in entrance exam process at Lucena City School

The firefight lasted about 20 minutes before the rebels fled the area, leaving behind one fatality, according to the military. The slain rebel was identified as Roberto Delos Santos Lasanas, also known as “Ino,” “Bogs” and “Boing.”

Authorities said Lasanas served as secretary of Sub-Regional Committee 1 of the Bicol Regional Party Committee and was a former leader of an NPA guerrilla unit in Sorsogon. The military said he had been implicated in several criminal cases and had repeatedly refused calls to surrender despite government offers of assistance, including legal support.

Read More:  Massive Davao City fire leaves 200 families homeless

Pursuit operations are ongoing against the fleeing rebels, the military said. The leadership of the 9th Infantry Division also reiterated its commitment to intensify operations against what it described as the Communist Terrorist Group across the region.

The military renewed its call for remaining members to surrender and support efforts toward lasting peace in Bicol as security operations continue.