Leyte Representative Richard Gomez stays out of VP Sara Duterte’s impeachment complaint

Leyte 4th District Representative Richard Gomez opted not to sign the impeachment complaint against Vice President Sara Duterte, standing apart from more than 200 lawmakers who have endorsed the measure. While the complaint has gained traction, Gomez has remained focused on his legislative work, prioritizing service over political maneuvering.

“Padayun lang ato trabaho. Bahala gamay ra ato kwarta, daghan man paagi makahatag ta dekalidad nga serbisyo sa mga tao,” Gomez stated, emphasizing his commitment to serving his constituents without engaging in political conflicts.

Impeachment Complaint Gains Momentum

House leaders confirmed that an additional 25 lawmakers have expressed their intent to join the fourth impeachment complaint, which has already been endorsed by 215 members of the House of Representatives. Assistant Majority Leader Zia Alonto Adiong announced that the total number of complainants could rise to 240, surpassing 75% of the 306-member chamber.

Deputy Majority Leader Lorenz Defensor attributed the growing support to party consultations among major political groups, including Lakas-CMD, Partido Federal ng Pilipinas (PFP), the National Unity Party (NUP), and the Nacionalista Party (NP). These discussions reportedly helped solidify a stronger, more unified complaint against the Vice President.

Read More:  7 arrested in Cebu restobar theft case

“There were party consultations, and considering that three previous impeachment complaints had been filed, this fourth one is clearer, stronger, and has gained the confidence of lawmakers,” Defensor said.

He stressed that the weight of the evidence presented in the complaint was a key factor in securing support from the House’s supermajority.

“That is why this fourth impeachment complaint, where the evidence is presented in a stronger manner, gave confidence to more than 200 congressmen to act as complainants,” he added.

Lawmakers Dismiss Allegations of Financial Incentives

Despite the growing number of endorsers, accusations of financial incentives being offered in exchange for signatures have surfaced. However, 1-Rider Party-list Representative Rodrigo Gutierrez denied these claims, insisting that lawmakers backed the impeachment complaint based on its merits rather than political favors.

“We categorically deny such allegations,” Gutierrez said. “This was an independent action. We believe it was done faithfully and truthfully by each member.”

Adiong echoed Gutierrez’s sentiments, dismissing the accusations as a “smear campaign” aimed at discrediting the impeachment process. He urged the public to focus on the legal basis of the complaint rather than on misleading narratives.

Read More:  Cayetano vows ‘forthwith’ action on VP Sara impeachment

“The smear campaign against this process has begun,” Adiong said. “Let us not be swayed by such fake news because this is just a way to divert attention from the true merits of this process.”

House Prepares for Impeachment Trial

With preparations for an impeachment trial underway, Defensor confirmed that the House is launching an information campaign to educate the public on the impeachment process. Lawmakers are also preparing for the Senate’s decision on whether to proceed with the trial immediately or after June 2.

“If ever the Senate does indeed interpret that they could proceed with the trial as early as March, we will be ready. If they decide that it will continue after June 2, we will be even more ready,” Defensor said.

While the impeachment complaint gains momentum, Gomez’s decision to stay out of the controversy underscores his focus on governance rather than political battles. Whether his stance will influence other lawmakers remains to be seen as the impeachment process moves forward.