2 former NPA members surrender in Eastern Samar, Negros

Two former members of the New People’s Army (NPA) surrendered to authorities in Eastern Samar and Negros Oriental on May 18, according to police and military reports.

In Barangay Bangon, San Policarpo, Eastern Samar, authorities identified the surrenderer only by the alias “Popoy,” a 64-year-old farmer.

Police said alias Popoy was a former member of the Yunit Militia and allegedly had links to the NPA from 2016 to 2021.

Meanwhile, another former rebel surrendered in Barangay Panciao, Manjuyod, Negros Oriental.

Read More:  Wind power firm ordered to halt operations over permit violations

Authorities said the individual previously served as a medic for Squad 2 of the Regional Striking Force (RSF), which was allegedly under the Romeo Nanta Command.

As part of his surrender, the former rebel voluntarily turned over a caliber .45 revolver without a serial number, one firearm magazine, and four rounds of ammunition for a caliber .45 pistol.

Authorities did not disclose the identities of the two individuals for security reasons.

Read More:  Visayas grid to experience Yellow Alert again today

The surrender came days after an armed encounter between soldiers from the 15th Infantry Battalion and suspected members of the NPA in Cauayan, Negros Occidental on May 16.

Military reports stated that five suspected NPA members were killed during the clash.

Government forces continue conducting anti-insurgency and security operations in parts of the Visayas as authorities encourage remaining rebel members to surrender peacefully.

Officials have not released additional operational details related to the recent encounters and surrender activities.