Filing of COCs for vacant seat left by late Rep. Acop begins

The Commission on Elections (Comelec) is hoping for a peaceful start to the filing of Certificates of Candidacy (COCs) for Antipolo City’s second district beginning today.

This follows the death of Antipolo City 2nd District Representative Romeo Acop last year.

According to Comelec Chairman George Garcia, their office will be open for filing until February 7.

Read More:  DOH closely monitoring Ebola virus situation

Garcia also advised prospective candidates not to wait until the last day to file their COCs to give the commission enough time to review the documents and check for any deficiencies.

The Comelec expects around five to six candidates to file their candidacies for the upcoming special elections.

Meanwhile, the poll body previously said that it would need ₱98 million to conduct the said election.

Read More:  House prosecution panel names official spokespersons for Duterte impeachment

It has already planned to request funding from the Department of Budget and Management (DBM), especially since only ₱11 million was allocated for recall and special elections under the 2026 national budget.

Despite this, the request was not granted by the DBM.

(PHOTO COURTESY: Comelec)