DMW recalls embassy staff after viral OFW incident in Bahrain

The Department of Migrant Workers (DMW) has recalled one of its personnel assigned at the Philippine Embassy in Bahrain after a video showing the employee allegedly driving away overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) went viral online.

The video, recorded on Sunday, showed the DMW personnel reportedly telling several OFWs to leave the embassy premises. The workers had approached the embassy to seek assistance after being affected by the ongoing tensions in the Middle East.

Read More:  De Lima says Duterte must face ICC accountability despite lawyer withdrawal

The footage quickly circulated on social media, drawing criticism from viewers who questioned the treatment of the Filipino workers seeking help.

In response, the Philippine Embassy in Bahrain clarified that the distribution of financial assistance for OFWs is currently suspended.

The embassy also explained that it cannot accommodate Filipinos who arrive without appointments due to existing security guidelines being implemented in the country.

Following the viral video, DMW Secretary Hans Leo Cacdac announced in a Facebook post that the personnel involved had been formally recalled.

Read More:  Yellow and red alert status in Luzon grid further Extended

Cacdac said the employee would face appropriate sanctions following the incident.

The DMW chief also assured the public that the agency remains committed to serving overseas Filipino workers with respect, compassion and humility.

The Department of Migrant Workers is responsible for protecting the welfare of Filipino workers abroad and coordinating assistance through Philippine embassies and consulates worldwide.