Typhoon Tino devastated parts of Negros Occidental, exposing how rapid deforestation, unregulated upland development, and weak disaster preparedness left communities dangerously vulnerable to floods and landslides.
Environmentalist Rusty Binas, told Brigada News FM-Philippines on Wednesday, November 12, that he would rate the provincial government 3 out of 10 for disaster preparedness, warning that the recent floods could have been prevented if mitigation and reforestation efforts had been properly sustained.
“Forests are a natural sponge,” he said. “They absorb torrential rains, slow runoff, and prevent catastrophic landslides and flash floods. Without them, our communities face higher risks.” Binas added.
Boulders, logs, and driftwood from Canlaon City, Negros Oriental, swept onto roads and flowed downstream, reaching Moises Padilla, La Castellana, Isabela, La Carlota City, and nearby coastal towns, triggering flash floods.
Binas noted that the Northern Negros Natural Park (NNNP) and Mount Kanlaon Natural Park (MKNP) now retain only “fragile 4 to 7%” forest cover, far below the globally recommended 40%, blaming illegal logging, charcoal production, and unpermitted land conversions for worsening vulnerability.
He said the provincial government reportedly spends around P20 million annually on reforestation—excluding the national Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) budget—suggesting an even larger, undisclosed total, but Binas claimed that “poor site selection and lack of sustained support cause survival rates to drop as low as 60 percent.”
Binas criticized officials for turning costly reforestation programs into short-lived photo opportunities rather than lasting environmental solutions.
Implication of disaster declaration
Binas said the disaster declaration signals more than emergency aid—it publicly admits the system failed. “It shows, ‘We ran out of money. We ran out of plans. We are overwhelmed,’” he said.
He claimed that every sack of rice, box of medicine, and dollar from abroad is a proof of national failure, showing that local taxes, disaster risk reduction, and government efforts were not enough.
Negros Occidental 4th District Representative Jeffrey Ferrer called on the DENR to inspect possible illegal activities in Mount Kanlaon’s upper reaches, citing landslides, earthquakes, volcanic activity, washed-away logs, and ongoing upland development.
Meanwhile, 3rd District Representative Javier Miguel Benitez filed House Resolution No. 432, urging a joint congressional inquiry into climate risk and vulnerability in the Negros Island Region (NIR), emphasizing the adoption of nature-based solutions, data-driven tools like Project NOAH, and climate-responsive governance across local governments.
Impact
A week after Typhoon Tino, the Department of Agriculture (DA) and the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (PDRRMC) reported combined losses of P605.4 million to infrastructure, agriculture, and livestock, with 58 fatalities.
Infrastructure damage totaled P427.9 million, including bridges, school and multipurpose buildings, barangay halls, and health centers.
Agricultural losses reached P155 million, including P69 million for rice, P63 million for high-value crops, P14 million for livestock, P9 million for corn, and P22.5 million for fisheries.
The typhoon destroyed 7,876 houses and partially damaged 49,382 others, while the Department of Education reported 134 school buildings destroyed and 189 partially damaged across 36 schools in Bacolod City and nearby towns, the PDRRMC disclosed.*
Reymund Titong is a Filipino journalist steadily building his voice in the field of news reporting, driven by a commitment to tell meaningful and relevant stories.
He serves as a correspondent for Rappler, maintains a personal blog on Medium, and is the communications officer of Hope Builders Organization Negros Island.