A former University of the Philippines (UP)-Cebu student leader who once campaigned for free education and student rights was among the five individuals killed in an encounter with government troops in Cauayan town, Negros Occidental on Saturday, May 16.
Tug-ani, the official student publication of UP-Cebu, has acknowledged that Vince Francis Dingding was among those killed during an operation conducted by troops of the 15th Infantry Battalion under the 302nd Infantry Brigade, in the hinterland areas of Barangays Abaca and Poblacion.
Tug-ani reported that Dingding was a Computer Science alumnus of UP Cebu and previously served in the University Student Council as vice chairperson in 2015, councilor in 2014, and second-year representative in 2013.
The publication said Dingding was known within the university and the Cebu community for advocating for student rights, free education, and human rights.
He was also affiliated with Nagkahiusang Kusog sa Estudyante (NKE) and Kabataan Partylist Cebu.
Dingding also participated in campaigns opposing the STFAP/STS tuition scheme, resisting the K-12 program, and mobilizations against the Pork Barrel system and the Enhanced Defense Cooperation Agreement (EDCA).
The other fatalities were identified as Jobert Casipong, Gilbert Tingson, Rolando Dantes, and Alex Chavez Languita.
Brigadier General Jason V. Jumawan, commander of the 302nd Infantry Brigade, said that the five suspected rebels killed in a series of armed engagements with its ground unit were responsible for the killings of at least 23 civilians in 2025, so far three this year, and were accused of being military spies.
He also said that Dingding served as the political instructor and deputy secretary for the NPA’s South East Front (SEF), a guerrilla front that the government earlier declared dismantled.
Meanwhile, the families of Dantes and Tingson have confirmed that their loved ones left years ago to join the underground movement. While, Casipong’s family remains in disbelief about the situation.
On the other hand, the families of Dingding and Languita have not yet claimed the remains of their relatives at R&S Funeral Homes in Barangay Isio, as of posting time.*
Reymund Titong is a Filipino journalist steadily building his voice in the field of news reporting, driven by a commitment to tell meaningful and relevant stories.
He serves as a correspondent for Rappler, maintains a personal blog on Medium, and is the communications officer of Hope Builders Organization Negros Island.