Boy dies, another hurt after jellyfish attack at Camarines Sur

A 10-year-old boy died while another child was hospitalized after a jellyfish attack at a beach in Barangay Penitan, authorities said Monday.

According to PCPT Mark Anthony Cledera, acting chief of the Siruma Municipal Police Station, the victims were swimming when they suddenly cried out for help. Bystanders immediately responded and brought both children to the Municipal Hospital, but one succumbed to the venom of a boxed jellyfish.

Read More:  63-year-old fish vendor shot in Cebu City by riding-in-tandem gunmen

Cledera said that although the beach resort had a safety net, it remains unclear how the jellyfish entered the swimming area. He added that all beach resort owners had been previously instructed to install nets due to the risk of jellyfish sightings.

Before the summer vacation, local officials had also conducted inspections to ensure that resorts had signages, lifeguards, life vests, and other safety measures in place.

Read More:  Yellow and red alerts raised over Luzon grid

In response to the incident, authorities will conduct another round of ocular inspections at local resorts to reinforce safety protocols, particularly as tourists continue to flock to beaches despite recent accidents.

Officials are reminding beachgoers to remain vigilant and to follow safety advisories to prevent further tragedies.