An armed clash between two groups in the town of Tugunan, Maguindanao del Norte, was halted Thursday after police and military forces intervened, local officials said.
The fighting began Thursday morning in Tugunan, a Special Geographic Area under the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao. Members of the Philippine National Police and the Philippine Army immediately responded to stop the hostilities and prevent further escalation.
Personnel from the Tugunan Municipal Police Station, along with troops from the 40th Infantry Battalion, conducted security sweeps and area-clearing operations at the site of the encounter. Authorities said the operation aimed to ensure that the armed groups involved had already withdrawn from the area.
Officials said the intervention successfully halted the clash and allowed authorities to restore order in the affected community.
Tugunan Mayor Hadji Abdullah Abas directed members of the municipal council to proceed to the area to help maintain peace and monitor the situation on the ground.
As of Thursday, authorities said there were no confirmed reports of fatalities or injuries related to the incident. Verification and assessment efforts are ongoing.
Police and military units remain on alert and continue to maintain a presence in Tugunan to prevent a possible resurgence of violence. Residents were urged to remain calm and cooperate with authorities as peace and order efforts continue.