At least 38 people remain missing, one person has been confirmed dead and 12 others were rescued following a massive landfill collapse in Barangay Binaliw, Cebu City, authorities said Friday.
The incident occurred at a landfill site operated by Prime Waste Solutions Cebu, according to the Cebu City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office. As of 6:30 a.m. on Jan. 9, 2026, one fatality had been recorded. The victim was identified as a 22-year-old woman.
Twelve individuals were pulled out alive from the debris and rushed to hospitals for treatment. Seven of the rescued victims were admitted to Visayas Medical Center, while five were taken to Cebu North General Hospital, officials said.
Mayor Nestor Archival said continuous medical care is being provided to those who remain hospitalized. He added that the city government is extending burial assistance and necessary support to the family of the deceased.
Authorities said about 110 employees were involved at the site at the time of the collapse. Rescue teams believe those still missing may be trapped beneath the massive volume of soil and waste.
Search and rescue operations are continuing around the clock. A total of 333 personnel from various agencies have been deployed, including members of CCDRRMO, the Bureau of Fire Protection, Philippine National Police, Armed Forces of the Philippines, local fire brigades, disaster response units, non-government organizations and partner local government units.
At least 17 ambulances, 10 fire trucks and three lighting towers have been mobilized to support operations.
Aerial images released by the Bureau of Fire Protection showed extensive damage, with large portions of the landfill sliding down and burying sections of the area. Authorities said updates will be issued as rescue efforts continue.