Sen. Imee Marcos seeks Senate probe on Marines’ affidavit

Sen. Imee Marcos said Wednesday she has filed a Senate resolution seeking an investigation into allegations contained in a joint affidavit by 18 Marines involving supposed cash-filled suitcases.

Speaking at a press conference with the Senate media, Marcos said the resolution aims to examine claims raised in the affidavit, which linked several senators to the alleged receipt of “basura” or suitcases containing money.

The affidavit named Senate President Tito Sotto, Sen. Francis “Chiz” Escudero, Sen. Erwin Tulfo, Sen. Loren Legarda, former Sen. Bong Revilla Jr. and Sen. Mark Villar in connection with the allegations.

Read More:  CIDG summons Sen. Bato over alleged EJK cases

It also mentioned former House Speaker Martin Romualdez on page 13 of the document, according to Marcos.

Marcos said the allegations were alarming and warranted a serious inquiry by the Senate. She expressed hope that a formal investigation would be conducted to clarify the claims.

She also called on former military personnel to come forward and present any evidence they may have related to the allegations.

Read More:  Yellow and red alerts raised over Luzon grid

Marcos did not provide further details on the contents of the affidavit beyond what had been publicly disclosed. She emphasized the need for a thorough and credible review of the claims raised by the 18 Marines.

The resolution seeks to determine the veracity of the allegations and whether further action may be necessary based on the findings of a Senate inquiry.