Malacañang on Tuesday addressed growing public frustration after Christmas and the New Year passed without the arrest of senior government officials linked to alleged flood control corruption, despite President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.’s earlier warning that there would be “no merry Christmas” for those involved.
Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said authorities are still building cases and following due process, stressing that accountability efforts remain ongoing and may still result in developments within the remaining two years of the president’s term.
Castro explained that the president did not name specific individuals when he made the remark, but noted that actions have already been taken in recent months. She said several individuals have been jailed, arrest warrants have been issued, and some suspects have gone into hiding, while others are negotiating settlements and returning funds.
According to Castro, restitution has been made through the return of large portions of alleged kickbacks, a process she said had not happened under previous administrations. She emphasized that such developments are taking place under the Marcos administration.
In earlier statements, President Marcos said many individuals would not have a merry Christmas because of possible imprisonment over corruption allegations. However, critics have pointed out that no high-ranking government officials have been jailed so far, with arrests largely limited to contractors, including the Disyaca couple, and several regional officials of the Department of Public Works and Highways.
Malacañang maintained that investigations are ongoing and urged the public to allow the justice process to run its course.