Coast Guard ends search for sunken MBCA Amejara victims

The Philippine Coast Guard has ended search, rescue and retrieval operations for passengers of the sunken motorbanca MBCA Amejara, officials announced.

In a press conference, the Coast Guard District Southeastern Mindanao said the monthlong operation was formally terminated after completing 30 days of efforts. The response included 15 days of search and rescue operations followed by another 15 days of search and retrieval activities.

Authorities began operations on Jan. 19 after the motorbanca sank. Of the 16 people on board, only one survived. Six bodies were recovered during the course of the operations, while nine passengers remain missing.

Read More:  Four CPSU graduates enter 2026 LET top rankings

The Coast Guard said all available resources had been used throughout the search period. Officials noted that conditions and the passage of time made further recovery operations unlikely.

The district expressed sympathy to the families of those who remain missing and those who died in the incident. It said it continues to coordinate with local authorities and affected families following the termination of operations.

Read More:  Drunk passenger stabs fellow bus rider in Cebu

The Coast Guard did not provide additional details on the circumstances surrounding the sinking in its announcement. No further retrieval operations are planned as of this time.

The end of the search marks one month since the maritime incident was reported and response efforts were launched in southeastern Mindanao. Families of the missing have been informed of the decision to conclude operations.

Authorities said they are offering condolences and support to the relatives of the victims as they deal with the aftermath of the tragedy.