Voters’ registration in the Negros Island Region (NIR) has slowed down following consecutive typhoons that forced schools and government offices—key registration sites—to temporarily shut down, according to Commission on Elections–Negros Island Region (COMELEC-NIR) Regional Director Attorney Lionel Marco Castillano.
Castillano said on Monday, December 1, that the temporary closures occurred even without direct damage to COMELEC equipment, as safety concerns and cleanup activities kept many facilities inaccessible.
He added that the COMELEC regional office was also closed for three days last week due to the Regional Sports Fest, contributing to a dip in the number of registrants.
Castillano, however, expects the turnout to recover by December once regular operations resume.
The registration period runs from October 20, 2025 to May 18, 2026, with centers open Mondays to Saturdays—including holidays—from 8 am to 5 pm.
Bacolod City, which experienced severe flooding, was among the areas where COMELEC operations were disrupted.
Castillano said the situation showed that the need for the city to provide a new, flood-free office space to ensure sensitive equipment and voter registration forms remain protected and registration services continue uninterrupted during future weather disturbances.*
Reymund Titong is a Filipino journalist steadily building his voice in the field of news reporting, driven by a commitment to tell meaningful and relevant stories.
He serves as a correspondent for Rappler, maintains a personal blog on Medium, and is the communications officer of Hope Builders Organization Negros Island.