The Supreme Court has affirmed its earlier ruling declaring the Articles of Impeachment filed against Vice President Sara Duterte as unconstitutional.
In a unanimous vote, the high court en banc dismissed with finality the motion for reconsideration submitted by the House of Representatives, which sought to overturn the decision.
Court spokesperson Attorney Camille Ting said the ruling confirms that the fourth impeachment complaint against Duterte, transmitted to the Senate on Feb. 5, 2025, is barred under Article XI, Section 3, Subsection 5 of the Philippine Constitution.
The constitutional provision prohibits multiple impeachment proceedings against the same official within a one-year period.
The Supreme Court had previously halted the Senate from proceeding with trial preparations involving the vice president. The court’s action was based on the same constitutional restriction intended to prevent repeated impeachment attempts in a short span of time.
In its latest resolution, the high court also rejected the House’s arguments, noting what it described as factual errors raised in the motion.
Following the ruling, the defense team of Vice President Duterte issued a statement acknowledging the Supreme Court’s decision.
The group said it welcomed the resolution denying the House request for reconsideration and expressed gratitude for what it called clear and authoritative guidance on the constitutional limits governing impeachment proceedings.
“With these issues settled by the Court, the matter is now closed,” the defense team said, adding that attention should now shift toward addressing other pressing national concerns.
The Supreme Court’s decision effectively ends the impeachment case against Duterte, reinforcing constitutional safeguards on the impeachment process and setting a final legal boundary for future proceedings.