Bicol SARO party-list Rep. Terry Ridon disputed Vice President Sara Duterte’s claim that a request to subpoena documents related to her impeachment was a “fishing expedition.”
In an earlier statement, Duterte criticized the motion filed by Akbayan party-list Rep. Chel Diokno seeking the issuance of subpoenas for several documents, including bank statements connected to the impeachment case.
Speaking during the Saturday News Forum, Ridon said the vice president’s accusation was not accurate.
Ridon said that even without subpoenas for additional documents that could serve as evidence, the case is “essentially complete” and the impeachment proceedings could continue.
He added that the process would still move forward based on the evidence already available.
Ridon also again raised the possible conflict of interest involving two of Duterte’s lawyers, Atty. Michael Poa and Reynold Munsayac.
The two lawyers previously served under Duterte in her offices at the Office of the Vice President (OVP) and the Department of Education (DepEd).
Ridon said the issue has been raised as part of concerns related to the ongoing impeachment case.
Meanwhile, he said the impeachment hearings may proceed next week regardless of whether the vice president submits a response within the 10-day period given to her.
Under the impeachment process, the proceedings can continue even if the respondent fails to submit an answer within the allotted period.
The developments come amid continuing political debate over the impeachment case involving Duterte and the requests for documents linked to the proceedings.