The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Leyte 4th District Engineering Office denied accusations of “ghost projects” and insisted that all flood control and port projects in Albuera, Matag-ob, and Merida are legitimate, ongoing, and subject to strict government monitoring.
OIC District Engineer Peter Scheler Soco directly addressed the controversy on Thursday, September 11, 2025, during a media briefing in Ormoc City, rejecting allegations made by some local officials. He emphasized that every project in the district is properly processed, monitored, and evaluated to ensure transparency and accountability.
He said his office remains committed to delivering quality infrastructure that benefits communities and clarified that discrepancies in reported completion rates were due to delays in updating the DPWH central portal.
Albuera fish port project under fire
One of the projects under scrutiny was the P17 million fish port in Albuera, which began in November 2024 but was suspended two months later because of road right-of-way issues and concerns over mangrove ecosystems.
Albuera Mayor Kerwin Espinosa had previously called the project a ghost development. However, Soco maintained that the port is real and already at 51 percent completion, explaining that it was designed to help fisherfolk dock their pumpboats safely.
Flood control projects in Matag-ob and Merida inspected
The DPWH team also inspected the P48.2 million flood control project in Matag-ob, where a section collapsed after heavy rainfall. Officials clarified that the portion had not yet been completed and a critical “lock” had yet to be installed. The collapse reduced the project’s completion rate from 94 percent to 80 percent, with full completion expected by November this year.
In Merida, controversy arose after Mayor Lando Villacensio claimed that a flood control project at Macatol Bridge was falsely reported as 100 percent complete. Soco explained that the monitoring system reflected 100 percent only because an extension request was pending approval. He stressed that the project, valued at P95 million, was actually about 80 percent complete, with delays caused by bad weather and tree-cutting permit issues.
During the inspection, DPWH officials highlighted that the downstream portion of the river was already finished, but construction on the upstream section remains ongoing. They pointed out that the mayor’s earlier inspection did not cover the completed areas.
Assurance of transparency
Soco reiterated that all projects are visible on the ground and serve their intended purpose for the community. He invited local officials to maintain open dialogue with his office regarding updates and completion timelines.
The DPWH said that the accusations of ghost projects undermine public trust, but ongoing inspections and community visits will continue to show visible progress.

Jaja has a degree in journalism and took classes in international law and business communication. Her career spans roles at prominent international media outlets, including International Business Times, Celebeat and Delightful Philippines. As a news editor, Jaja covered a wide range of beats, including legal, business, economy, cryptocurrency, personal finance, gaming, technology, and entertainment.