ICC eyes November 2026 trial for Duterte case

International Criminal Court prosecutors are targeting Nov. 30, 2026, for the start of the trial of former Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte over allegations of crimes against humanity linked to his anti-drug campaign.

In a document submitted to ICC Trial Chamber III ahead of a scheduled status conference on May 27, prosecutors said they expect all necessary pre-trial procedures to be completed before the end of September this year.

The prosecution said the proposed trial date would provide enough time for the proper disclosure of evidence and other preparations before proceedings begin. Prosecutors added that the schedule is intended to avoid possible delays during the trial itself.

Read More:  NBI says Senate shooting suspect was only volunteer

Duterte is facing accusations tied to his administration’s war on drugs campaign, which has drawn international scrutiny and criticism over alleged human rights violations.

Meanwhile, the Common Legal Representatives of the Victims proposed an earlier trial schedule in September 2026. The group said an earlier start would help speed up the legal process for both the victims and the accused.

Read More:  Senate to convene as impeachment court vs VP Sara Duterte on May 18

The former president’s legal camp had earlier asked the ICC not to immediately set a trial date, citing Duterte’s reportedly worsening health condition.

The issue is expected to be discussed further during the upcoming status conference before ICC Trial Chamber III later this month.

The ICC investigation into Duterte’s anti-drug operations remains one of the most closely watched international legal proceedings involving a former Philippine head of state.