Gun-for-hire angle eyed in RPG attack in Maguindanao ambush

The Philippine National Police is continuing its investigation into the ambush targeting Shariff Aguak Mayor Akmad Mitra Ampatuan on Jan. 25, 2026, with authorities looking into the possibility that the attack was carried out as a gun-for-hire operation.

PNP Public Information Chief Brig. Gen. Randulf Tuaño said the Special Investigation Task Group is focusing on indications that the armed suspects may have been hired to carry out the assault.

“What they’re looking at, what the SITG is zeroing in on is the possible hiring of the gunman with his relatives,” Tuaño said.

Read More:  11 rescued after pumpboat capsizes near Guimaras

Police have identified four suspects believed to be involved in the ambush. Authorities said the group was allegedly led by a man known by the alias “Raprap,” who reportedly used a weapon resembling a rocket-propelled grenade during the attack on the mayor’s convoy.

Investigators said the other suspects include the leader’s uncle and cousin, while the driver involved was believed to be the brother of the main suspect.

Tuaño added that “Raprap” had previously been the subject of three arrest warrants for cases involving murder, robbery by band, and violation of the Commission on Elections gun ban.

Read More:  Man found handcuffed, tied inside septic tank in Davao City

The ambush occurred around 6:30 a.m. in Barangay Poblacion, Shariff Aguak. Two of the mayor’s security personnel were slightly injured during the incident, police said.

Authorities launched a hot pursuit operation shortly after the attack, resulting in the deaths of three suspects. The driver, however, managed to escape and remains at large.

Tuaño said the PNP is also examining whether security lapses may have occurred at the local police level.

The police force reiterated its commitment to accountability and to pursuing all those responsible to ensure public safety in the area.