The National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC) said Filipino-American youth Chantal Anicoche voluntarily disclosed alleged links to organizations connected to the Communist Party of the Philippines-New People’s Army (CPP-NPA) in the Philippines and abroad, particularly in the United States.
In a confirmation issued Jan. 31, 2026, authorities said Anicoche admitted she had been inside an NPA camp during an encounter in Barangay Cabacao, Abra de Ilog, Mindoro.
Officials emphasized that the disclosure was presented as part of transparency and public awareness efforts and does not constitute a judgment, noting that due process remains in place.
The Armed Forces of the Philippines’ Southern Luzon Command reaffirmed its commitment to protecting the public, upholding accurate information, and respecting international humanitarian law in handling individuals under custody.
SOLCOM cited the Geneva Convention of 1949, which mandates humane treatment of persons held in custody, and said it remains committed to ensuring that standards are followed.
Authorities also underscored the importance of inter-agency cooperation and public vigilance against deceptive recruitment tactics that could threaten peace and security.
The Philippine Army’s 2nd Infantry Division said Anicoche had been under its custody for 21 days, during which she was provided medication and immediate medical care.
She was safely released on Jan. 29, 2026, and turned over to her parents.
Anicoche departed the Philippines on Jan. 30 at around 11:30 p.m. aboard United Airlines Flight UA 810 from Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3 to San Francisco International Airport.
Her departure was carried out in compliance with an existing Order to Leave issued by the Bureau of Immigration.
Authorities said coordinated efforts will continue to maintain community safety and stability.