Suspect in killing of Bulacan policeman arrested in Tagum City

Authorities have arrested the primary suspect in the killing of Police Staff Sergeant Renato Casauay Jr., whose body was previously found in a septic tank in Malolos, Bulacan.

Police identified the suspect as Monjeanne Julian Salamat y Ramirez, also known as Julian Salamat or “Mon.” He is considered the gunman in the incident, according to investigators.

Police said Salamat surrendered and was arrested on the morning of Feb. 4, 2026, in Barangay Magugpo West, Tagum City, Davao del Norte.

Read More:  Cayetano confirms vehicle used by Bato to return to Senate

The arrest followed a joint follow-up investigation and operation conducted by personnel from Police Regional Office 3, the Malolos City Police Station, the Bulacan Provincial Intelligence Unit and PIT Bulacan. The operation was carried out in coordination with the Tagum City Police Station and Police Regional Office 11.

Salamat is facing a murder charge in connection with the killing of Casauay. Authorities said there was a P1 million bounty for his capture.

Read More:  ‘I still have the floor!’ Pangilinan, Padilla clash inside Senate chamber

Police earlier confirmed that two other suspects linked to the crime had already surrendered before Salamat’s arrest. Investigators have not released additional details about the roles of the other suspects.

Casauay’s killing drew attention after his body was discovered inside a septic tank in Malolos. Authorities launched a manhunt to locate those responsible.

With the arrest of the alleged gunman and the surrender of other suspects, police said the case continues to undergo investigation as legal proceedings move forward.