A 29-year-old man was arrested after allegedly burning down the hut he shared with his mother on Monday afternoon, April 14, in Purok 8, Barangay Patag, Naga City, Cebu.
The suspect, identified as Joseph, is now in police custody following the incident that shocked local residents.
According to an interview with Brigada News FM Cebu, the suspect’s mother, Bibi, shared that her son had repeatedly stolen her crops in the past, but she tolerated his behavior because he was her child.
On the day of the incident, Bibi said she merely asked her son where he had been and if he had eaten lunch. This question led to a heated argument, prompting Joseph to walk away.
Shortly after, the family encountered Joseph again, who allegedly told them that their hut had already been burned down.
Fortunately, no one was injured in the incident.
Authorities have not yet disclosed the charges to be filed, but the suspect remains detained as of writing.