Lawmakers supporting the impeachment complaint against Vice President Sara Duterte said they expect criticism and attacks against them as the House of Representatives prepares to begin initial hearings on the case.
House Deputy Minority Leader Leila de Lima said observers should expect the resurgence of what she described as the “Tatak DDS” or “Duterte Demolition Script” as impeachment proceedings approach.
The House is scheduled to begin initial hearings on Monday, March 2, to determine the sufficiency of the impeachment complaint in form and in substance.
De Lima said she was not surprised that her name was included in claims that certain individuals allegedly benefited or were paid to push the impeachment complaint against Duterte.
According to the former senator, the allegations may stem from her firm position calling for accountability involving former President Rodrigo Duterte and Vice President Sara Duterte.
Manila Third District Rep. Joel Chua also commented on the issue, saying the recent appearance of individuals who identified themselves as former members of the Philippine Marines appeared to be a matter of timing.
Chua said the development could have been intended to influence public opinion and divert attention from the accountability issues faced by the vice president.
He added that members of the House Quad Committee were likely targets of disinformation because they had earlier revealed alleged irregularities that Duterte has yet to address.
Meanwhile, Iloilo City Rep. Julienne Baronda said she was also linked to the revelations made by the 18 individuals who claimed to be former Marines.
Baronda said she would instead pray that truth and fairness prevail as the issue unfolds.
She added that her name was being associated with local personalities critical of the previous administration.
The House hearings beginning Monday will focus on determining whether the impeachment complaint meets the required standards before proceeding further in the process.