Prince Andrew accused of using ‘fake name’ in business: Police probe allegations of fraudulent Filing

Prince Andrew is once again at the center of controversy, this time over allegations he used a fabricated name in official company filings. The claim, submitted to police by the anti-monarchy group Republic, accuses the Duke of York of providing false information in 2002 when registering Naples Gold Limited, a corporation co-founded with billionaire sports retailer Johan Eliasch.

The allegations, which highlight the use of the name “Andrew Inverness” in official documents, have prompted Scotland Yard to assess the matter for potential further action. While the investigation remains in its early stages, the claims have reignited debates over the accountability of high-profile public figures.

Republic Calls for Accountability in Filing Standards

Republic, a prominent anti-monarchy group, filed the complaint against Prince Andrew with Scotland Yard, raising questions about the integrity of corporate filings involving members of the royal family.

Graham Smith, Republic’s chief executive, emphasized the broader implications of such allegations.

“The apparent filing of false information with Companies House may seem trivial, but the UK faces serious issues of fraud committed in this way. While no such fraud is alleged here, surely Andrew must be held to the highest standards,” Smith stated.

Submitting false information is a violation of the Companies Act, and Smith insists that public interest requires such cases to be pursued, especially when prominent figures are involved.

Police Confirm Initial Assessment of the Complaint

The Metropolitan Police have confirmed they received a complaint regarding the matter on January 6. A spokesperson told The Telegraph:

“This report will now be assessed to determine whether any further action is required. There is no investigation at this early stage.”

The statement underscores that the case is in a preliminary phase, leaving open the possibility of future action based on findings.

Smith, however, expressed skepticism about the police’s impartiality in matters involving the royal family. He called for authorities to handle the issue “without fear or favor.”

Background on Naples Gold Limited and Prince Andrew’s Role

Naples Gold Limited was established in 2002 with Prince Andrew and Johan Eliasch as its key figures. The company’s registration documents reportedly list the name “Andrew Inverness,” a deviation from the prince’s official title. While using a pseudonym is not necessarily illegal, providing false information on official filings could violate corporate regulations under the Companies Act.

Critics argue that if the allegations are substantiated, it would highlight a troubling lapse in accountability for members of the royal family in their private ventures.

Investment Firm Linked to Andrew Faces Closure

The allegations come amidst reports of financial turbulence involving Prince Andrew’s other ventures. According to The Mirror, Urramoor Limited, a company managing Andrew’s private investments, is in the process of permanent closure.

Founded in 2013, Urramoor Limited reportedly came under Andrew’s “substantial control.” However, the firm faced financial struggles, narrowly avoiding closure last year thanks to an anonymous donor. The decision to strike off the company’s registration raises further questions about the duke’s business dealings and financial oversight.

Broader Implications for Royals and Legal Equality

The controversy has reignited debates about the treatment of royals under UK law. Republic’s Smith argued that cases involving high-profile figures, especially members of the royal family, must be handled with transparency and fairness.

“If we are to trust our institutions, they must demonstrate that no one is above the law,” Smith said.

Observers point out that this case reflects a broader need to scrutinize the private dealings of public figures. Prince Andrew, who stepped back from royal duties following his involvement in the Jeffrey Epstein scandal, has faced multiple controversies over the years.

Potential Outcomes and Next Steps

While the current investigation remains in its initial stages, the outcome could have significant repercussions. If the police find sufficient grounds to pursue the case, it could lead to further scrutiny of Prince Andrew’s business dealings and potentially spark legal proceedings.

For now, the spotlight remains firmly on the duke as both police and the public await the findings of Scotland Yard’s assessment.

A Year of Mounting Challenges for Prince Andrew

This latest controversy adds to a challenging period for Prince Andrew. Having already been embroiled in high-profile scandals, the allegations of false filings and the closure of Urramoor Limited could further damage his reputation.

With increasing calls for transparency and accountability, the royal family may face additional pressure to address public concerns about private ventures involving its members.

Whether these latest allegations result in formal legal action or fade into obscurity remains to be seen, but they have undoubtedly reignited public discourse on the balance between privilege and accountability in the United Kingdom.

This developing story continues to unfold as authorities deliberate on the next steps in addressing the allegations. Regardless of the outcome, the case serves as a reminder of the public’s expectation for equal treatment under the law, even for members of the royal family.