The Philippine National Police said excessive alcohol consumption, not jealousy, led to the fatal shooting that killed three police officers and one woman in Sibulan, Negros Oriental, on Jan. 9, 2026.
In a press briefing held Jan. 12, PNP spokesperson Brig. Gen. Randulf Tuaño said the suspect, a police staff sergeant, claimed he felt isolated and targeted by fellow officers, saying he was the newest member assigned to the police station on Dec. 8, 2025.
Tuaño clarified that the police officers who were killed were not responding to a shooting incident. Instead, they had been drinking together, starting from the police station and later moving to a bar to celebrate the birthday of their station chief, a police captain.
The shooting occurred after the suspect was initially restrained and disarmed of a .45-caliber firearm. However, authorities said the suspect was not frisked and not handcuffed, allowing him to retain another firearm.
According to Tuaño, the suspect used the remaining firearm to shoot the three police officers during an argument inside a vehicle.
Two other police officers, who were traveling separately on a motorcycle, reported the incident and called for medical assistance, police said.
Following the incident, acting PNP chief Lt. Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. ordered the filing of both criminal and administrative cases against the suspect, with the intention of dismissing him from the service.
Nartatez also directed the relief of the Negros Oriental Police Provincial Office director and the deputy chief of the Sibulan Police Station.
The acting PNP chief further instructed police commanders to closely supervise their personnel to ensure discipline and professionalism within the ranks.
The investigation into the incident is ongoing.