PBBM unlikely to call special session for VP Sara Duterte’s impeachment, Escudero says

President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has shown no intention of calling a special session for Vice President Sara Duterte’s impeachment trial, Senate President Francis “Chiz” Escudero said Sunday. With Congress on break, the Senate leader confirmed that no formal requests had been made for an expedited process.

No Urgency for a Special Session

Escudero clarified that neither proponents nor opponents of Duterte’s impeachment had reached out to him regarding a special session. He stressed that unless Marcos himself calls for one, the Senate will not convene before its scheduled return.

The President previously stated that while he remains open to a special session, any formal request must come from the Senate. Escudero, however, believes there is no justification for such a move, emphasizing that impeachment proceedings should follow due process.

The Senate leader argued that Duterte’s position as Vice President does not warrant special treatment. He noted that past impeachment cases involving high-ranking officials, such as a Chief Justice or an Ombudsman, were not fast-tracked.

Read More:  DICT confirms online posts encouraging people to cause trouble at the Senate

“Vice President Sara Duterte is not above the law. We did not rush proceedings for the Chief Justice or the Ombudsman, and we will not do so now. Every impeachable official deserves the same treatment under the Constitution,” Escudero said.

House Maintains No Pressure on Senate

House lawmakers, led by Iloilo Representative Lorenz Defensor, asserted that they are not pressuring the Senate to hasten the impeachment process. While the House has already approved the impeachment articles with 215 lawmakers endorsing them, Defensor reiterated that the Senate remains independent and must handle the trial accordingly.

Defensor stressed that impeachment is a matter of national interest, as it involves the Vice President. He also expressed confidence that Marcos would not interfere with the process by calling a special session.

Read More:  DENR monitors poor water quality near Navotas Landfill

“I am certain that the President will not call for a special session, nor will Congress request one. The executive branch should not interfere in impeachment proceedings,” he said.

Despite the House forwarding the impeachment complaint to the Senate, the upper chamber adjourned before addressing it. The trial is set to commence in June after the May 12 elections.

Time Constraints Could Delay Trial

Former Supreme Court Senior Associate Justice Antonio Carpio warned that without a special session, the Senate might struggle to complete the impeachment trial before Congress adjourns on June 30. He pointed out that under Senate rules, Duterte would have ten days to submit a response before trial proceedings could begin.

If the trial does not conclude before Congress adjourns, the case may be deferred to the next Congress, potentially granting Duterte a one-year reprieve. The Constitution prohibits an official from facing impeachment more than once within a year.