Palace says ‘Leviste Files’ under Ombudsman review

The Palace on Thursday said the so-called “Leviste Files” have been submitted to the Office of the Ombudsman for authentication, following claims linking the Office of the President to a multibillion-peso public works project.

Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said the documents, previously referred to as the “Cabral files,” are now in the custody of the Ombudsman for verification.

Castro’s statement came after Batangas Rep. Leandro Leviste publicly linked the Office of the President to the alleged P8 billion project of the Department of Public Works and Highways.

Read More:  Government to control oil price rollbacks and hikes

Castro clarified that documents being circulated by individuals outside official channels cannot be considered strong evidence. She said such materials can be edited and that several versions have emerged that do not match each other.

Because of these inconsistencies, Castro said proper authentication by the Office of the Ombudsman is necessary before any conclusions can be drawn.

She urged the public to wait for the Ombudsman’s official findings and to avoid making assumptions while the review is ongoing.

Read More:  Stronger legal defense assured for 3 detained Filipino seafarers in Algeria

Castro stressed that only documents that undergo formal verification by the proper authorities can be treated as credible and reliable.

The Palace did not give a timetable for the completion of the authentication process, saying the matter is now under the authority of the Office of the Ombudsman.

Until an official statement is released, Castro said the public is encouraged to rely on verified information and allow the appropriate institutions to perform their mandate.