(1st UPDATE) Authorities confirmed that the number of fatalities in the June 27 truck crash in Barangay Guimbalaon, Silay City, has risen to seven, while 17 others were injured.
Silay City police chief Lieutenant Colonel Mark Darroca identified the latest fatalities as Marlon Amarado of Barangay Mambulac and Jayme Bangis of Barangay Guinhalaran. Both were pronounced dead at the Corazon Locsin Montelibano Memorial Regional Hospital in Bacolod City, where they had been brought for treatment.
Earlier, five other city government employees were confirmed dead. They were identified as Alexander Balili of Antilla Subdivision, Barangay IV; Rafael Jardiolin Jr. of Abad Santos, Barangay V; Eldie N. Naguita of Barangay E. Lopez; Azucena Dimson of Seaview Subdivision, Barangay Guinhalaran; and Leonillo Jerson of La Purisima, Barangay E. Lopez.
The incident occurred after a group of 24 city hall employees had just concluded a tree-planting activity in Sitio Lantawan, Hacienda Paho, as part of a reforestation drive. While descending a steep slope in Sitio San Juan, Barangay Guimbalaon, the mini dump truck they were riding in lost control and overturned.
According to initial police investigation, the driver attempted to stop the vehicle by ramming it into a banana tree along the roadside, but the truck swerved and flipped, ejecting several passengers.
Those undergoing treatment in various hospitals in Bacolod City include Mario Donieza of Barangay Mambulac; Felomino Aquino of Barangay Lantad; Arthur Gonzales of Tres Fuentes, Barangay Lantad; Jerkin Acuña of Barangay Mambulac; Randy Dela Banda of Barangay Rizal; Aaron Andrade of Paghidaet, Barangay Mambulac; Edgar Premaylon of Barangay E. Lopez; Joseph Mondejar of Antonio Luna, Barangay I; Rizalino Hugos of Ilang-ilang, Barangay V; Arturo Ardiente of Barangay Lantad; Bienvenido Gallego of Sitio Patag Diotay, Barangay Kapitan Ramon; Louien Acuña of Bonifacio Extension, Barangay V; Julius Tomco of Bonifacio Extension, Barangay IV; and Ronie Molabin of Barangay Guinhalaran.
Grieving
In a statement, City Mayor Joedith Gallego extended his deepest sympathies to the families of the victims of the accident, which claimed multiple lives.
“The City Government of Silay expresses its profound sorrow and deepest sympathies to the bereaved families of the victims who tragically lost their lives in the unfortunate vehicular accident,” he said.
The mayor also honored the victims not just as casualties, but as people who gave their time in service of something greater.
“These individuals had just concluded their participation in a tree-planting activity at Sitio Lantawan—an act that reflects their unwavering commitment to environmental preservation and community service,” Gallego said.
He assured Silaynons that the local government is actively responding to the needs of the victims and their families.
“The City Government is in close coordination with the Philippine National Police (PNP), the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO), the City Health Office, and other relevant agencies to extend all necessary support, medical attention, and financial assistance to the victims and their immediate families.”
Calling for unity in a time of grief, Gallego urged the public to pause and pray for those who perished and those still fighting to recover.
“This tragic occurrence has brought immeasurable grief to our community. It is a moment of collective mourning for all Silaynons. I respectfully call upon everyone to offer prayers for the eternal repose of the souls of those who perished, and for the full and speedy recovery of those who sustained injuries.”
He also vowed a transparent investigation into the incident to ensure accountability.
“Moreover, I wish to assure the public that a thorough and impartial investigation will be undertaken to ascertain the root cause of this tragic event, with the end in view of ensuring accountability and preventing similar incidents from occurring in the future,” he said.
“In this time of sorrow, let us remain united as one Silaynon community, bound by compassion, empathy, and mutual support. May God grant peace to the departed and comfort to the grieving,” Gallego added.*
Reymund Titong is a Filipino journalist steadily building his voice in the field of news reporting, driven by a commitment to tell meaningful and relevant stories.
He serves as a correspondent for Rappler, maintains a personal blog on Medium, and is the communications officer of Hope Builders Organization Negros Island.