President Donald Trump has deployed California National Guard troops and federal agents to Los Angeles to restore order after two nights of violent protests over ICE raids targeting undocumented migrants.
The protests, which began June 7, escalated when more than 2,000 demonstrators blocked freeway traffic, set cars ablaze and shattered windows in downtown Los Angeles. The unrest erupted after Immigration and Customs Enforcement conducted sweeps to arrest migrants who entered the country illegally.
Migrant protest turns violent
LAPD Chief Jim McDonnell said officers were overwhelmed by protesters using commercial-grade fireworks, rocks and bricks. He confirmed that police vehicles and storefront windows were destroyed during the unrest.
Video footage shows protesters waving Palestinian, Mexican and other foreign flags. Some carried professional-style riot shields and gas masks, prompting authorities to suspect foreign interference. NBC Los Angeles noted the organized appearance of some groups in the crowd.
Foreign agitators spur chaos claim
Intelligence sources told The National ENQUIRER that spies and foreign provocateurs influenced the demonstrations to destabilize American cities. They compared the situation to last year’s riots on university campuses over Middle East tensions. Federal officials have not confirmed these claims but have launched investigations.
In response to the violence, federal officials alerted the National Guard to secure federal buildings and support overwhelmed local law enforcement. Trump used social media to declare it was time to “liberate Los Angeles from the migrant invasion” and vowed that “order will be restored.”
National Guard secures government sites
California’s National Guard members arrived in downtown LA in tactical gear. They were posted near federal courthouses and ICE offices to prevent further property damage. Agents joined LAPD officers in clearing freeway blockades and extinguishing fires, according to local reports.
A spokesperson for the guard emphasized their role as assistive, not punitive, focusing on protecting infrastructure rather than engaging directly with protesters. Officials urged calm as investigations continue into the root causes of the riot.
ICE raids ignite public backlash
Immigration and Customs Enforcement carried out targeted operations in the L.A. metro area, detaining migrants with previous removal orders. Critics describe the raids as harsh and disruptive to immigrant communities. Supporters endorse the enforcement as necessary to uphold immigration law and public safety.
Community groups have condemned the violence while expressing empathy for families torn apart by the ICE actions. Leaders called for dialogue and legislative solutions to prevent similar tensions from escalating in the future.
LA mayor appeals for peace
Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass issued a statement urging protesters to end the violence and allow investigations to proceed. She emphasized protecting the rights of demonstrators to protest peacefully but stressed that illegal activities would be met with full enforcement of the law.
“The destruction of our city is not the way to resolve our issues,” Bass said in a televised address. She announced a city-wide curfew and requested state and federal assistance to prevent further unrest.

Jaja has a degree in journalism and took classes in international law and business communication. Her career spans roles at prominent international media outlets, including International Business Times, Celebeat and Delightful Philippines. As a news editor, Jaja covered a wide range of beats, including legal, business, economy, cryptocurrency, personal finance, gaming, technology, and entertainment.