Sen. Pia Cayetano said she has moved on from the emotional remarks she delivered in the Senate on May 20 following a shooting incident involving the chamber.
The senator made the statement after her comments during a Senate session gained attention online and became a topic of public discussion.
According to Cayetano, her emotional reaction was a natural response to the incident. However, she said she no longer dwells on the matter and has chosen to move forward.
She explained that the events surrounding the incident affected her emotionally, but emphasized that she is no longer carrying those feelings and has decided to focus on moving on.
Cayetano also expressed gratitude to those who reached out to her following the incident. She said communication and concern for others are important, especially during difficult situations.
Her remarks came after her earlier statement became the center of discussion in the Senate and on social media.
Previously, Cayetano said that no member of the former majority bloc had checked on her and others after the shooting incident.
The statement prompted reactions from several senators, who disputed the claim.
Some senators said they had sent messages through their group chat following the incident, contradicting the assertion that no one had reached out.
The differing accounts led to public discussion regarding the response of Senate members after the shooting incident.
Despite the controversy, Cayetano indicated that she no longer wishes to focus on the issue.
Instead, she emphasized the importance of concern, communication and reaching out to others during challenging circumstances.
Her latest statement signals her intention to put the matter behind her after the emotional Senate remarks drew widespread attention and generated discussion among lawmakers and the public.