New impeachment case vs. VP Sara Duterte prepared for 2026

Progressive and civil society groups are preparing a new impeachment complaint against Vice President Sara Duterte as early as February 2026. The filing is being timed to follow the end of the one-year ban on submitting a new impeachment case and to allow the Supreme Court to decide on the pending appeal that seeks to overturn the February 5, 2025 ruling dismissing the earlier impeachment articles.

Teddy Casiño, chair of Bayan, said the new complaint is ready for filing. He added that the Supreme Court’s action on the appeal could influence whether additional grounds will be included.

Read More:  QC court rejects Mans Carpio petition to stop VP Sara Duterte impeachment

The allegation of “betrayal of public trust” linked to alleged misuse of confidential funds is expected to remain the core ground of the new case. In December 2024, this was the only ground cited in the complaint filed by the second batch of complainants, which included youth leaders, teachers, government workers, health workers, and multisectoral groups.

Read More:  VP Sara Duterte camp slams Ramil Madriaga as liar in perjury case

Casiño noted that while a detailed plan is still being formed, the alliance is prepared to refile the case. Lawyers from the National Union of Peoples’ Lawyers and complainants from the earlier filing are expected to participate again once the complaint is submitted.

Vice President Duterte has previously said her camp expects impeachment moves to be filed against her every year until 2028.