Jennifer Lopez named ‘soft p*rnstar’ by Megyn Kelly over sizzling Spain performance with dancers, new tour fuels fresh controversy

Jennifer Lopez’s latest concert in Tenerife, Spain has become the talk of social media—but not for reasons she may have hoped. Former Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly made headlines on Monday, July 22, after calling the pop superstar a “soft porn star” in reaction to a viral clip from Lopez’s sultry live performance.

The video in question shows Lopez, 55, wearing a metallic silver bodysuit as she dances with three male backup performers who lift her and roll her across the stage. The performance was part of her July 18 headlining set at the Cook Music Festival on the Canary Island of Tenerife. She later transitioned into singing her 2011 single “I’m Into You,” continuing the sensual theme.

Kelly, 54, reposted the clip on her social media account and didn’t hold back, criticizing Lopez’s onstage choices and calling the performance overly sexualized. In a blunt caption, she asked if the singer had now become a soft porn star, ending with a sharp remark about Lopez’s artistic direction.

Lopez has not issued any public statement in response to the comment, and her team has yet to respond to multiple media requests.

Up All Night: Lopez’s latest tour fuels controversy

The controversial performance in Spain is just one stop on Lopez’s new Up All Night: Live tour, which spans several cities across Europe and Asia. The tour comes more than a year after she scrapped her 2024 This Is Me… Live tour in the U.S.

Despite recent career setbacks, including poor ticket sales for previous tour dates, Lopez appeared energized in her Tenerife set. Still, the internet quickly split into camps: fans praised her energy and choreography, while critics echoed Kelly’s take and called the visuals “too much” for a mainstream show.

Read More:  Gerald Anderson focused on building the life he wants for the future

The pop icon is no stranger to pushing boundaries with her fashion and performances. However, the timing of this specific comment added fuel to already existing speculation about the status of her career.

New songs reveal Lopez’s emotional reset after difficult year

Before kicking off the European leg of her tour, Lopez surprised a small group of fans at a private listening party in Los Angeles on July 2. The event, kept entirely under wraps, unveiled six new songs that reflect on recent struggles in her personal and professional life.

One attendee shared that Lopez debuted tracks titled Up All NightRegularFreeSave Me TonightBirthday, and Wreckage of You. According to the insider, Wreckage of You stood out as a powerful pop ballad inspired by her emotional challenges last year.

Lopez reportedly told fans that the song came to her one night after a long day of rehearsals. She was lying in bed when the lyrics began forming in her mind. She hinted that last year had been one of the hardest of her life, both professionally and personally.

The decision to cancel her previous tour was not taken lightly, she said. But after spending time focusing on her mental and emotional well-being, she returned to the stage feeling stronger. This newfound resilience is reflected in the themes of her new music.

Public image under pressure amid ongoing scrutiny

The clash with Kelly comes at a time when Lopez’s public image is under intense scrutiny. Although she continues to explore new musical directions and maintain a global fanbase, her moves are being watched more closely than ever.

Read More:  Maris Racal distributes’free bigas’ to celebrate showbiz milestone

Critics argue that Lopez’s performances are crossing into territory better suited for adult entertainment rather than pop concerts. Supporters, on the other hand, argue that her artistic expression is no different from what male artists do on stage, and that she is unfairly targeted.

Online users have joined the debate, with some calling Kelly’s remark a blatant example of ageism and misogyny. Others, however, agreed with her take and questioned Lopez’s motivations behind the provocative choreography.

In the absence of a direct response from Lopez, speculation has grown. Was the performance a calculated attempt to reclaim attention after a slow commercial year? Or is Lopez simply staying true to her evolving artistic style, no matter the backlash?

Future performances expected to attract more attention

As Lopez continues touring Europe and Asia, all eyes will be on her next stops. Fans and critics alike are eager to see whether she maintains the same bold stage direction or makes adjustments in light of the recent backlash.

She is set to perform in major cities including Milan, Paris, Tokyo, and Bangkok in the coming weeks. Ticket sales for those shows are reportedly steady, though not as strong as some of her past international tours.

If Kelly’s comment was meant to derail Lopez’s momentum, it may have only added more intrigue. The buzz surrounding the viral performance has already increased interest in her new songs and sparked fresh conversation around the boundaries of modern pop concerts.

Lopez has often stated that her music is a reflection of her journey. But now, that personal journey is unfolding under the sharp lens of global media and commentary.

Whether she will address Kelly’s dig or let her performances speak for themselves remains to be seen.