Members of the House of Representatives’ Quad Committee believe that the announcement regarding Former President Rodrigo Duterte’s attendance on their war on drugs probe is just a propaganda stunt.
Zambales’ Representative Jay Khonghun said that he found it suspicious that there was no direct statement coming from the former president that he is attending the hearing on November 13.
It was Former Presidential Chief Legal Counsel Attorney Salvador Panelo who announced on his Facebook page that Duterte would attend the hearing on Wednesday.
“Ang ginagawa nila ay talagang propaganda lamang, lalo na yung sinasabing pag-attend sa committee hearing ng Quad Comm. Nabubudol-budol nga ang mga mamamayan sa kanilang mga statement,” Khonghun emphasized.
Interestingly, the House Quad Committee had already cancelled the Wednesday hearing, but Panelo later that day announced Duterte’s willingness to attend.
This cancellation and subsequent announcement sparked confusion, with netizens taking to social media to question the timing.
Sta. Rosa Representative Dan Fernandez said the Duterte camp intentionally made the announcement to make it appear that they are backing down from the possible face of.
“Sinadya yun, style nila yan para magmukhang umaatras tayo,” Fernandez said.
According to Quad Committee Lead Chairperson Representative Robert Ace Barbers, the cancellation of the hearing was made before Duterte’s supposed announcement of his attendance to the hearing.
Barbers clarified that invitations and acceptances are formalized through letters, not social media posts.
Manila Representative Bienvenido Abante called on the lawyers of the former president to formalize their appearance or non- appearance through a letter to the house panel to avoid confusion.
The next hearing is scheduled for November 21.
(HRep Photo)

Abner is an award-winning journalist. He received the prestigious 2015 Titus Brandsma Award for Community Communication in the Philippines and participated in the 2016 International Visitor Leadership Program (IVLP) of the United States of America, sponsored by the US Embassy in the Philippines. Founder of WATCH NORTH COTABATO, a media-citizens’ transparency group. He worked as a correspondent for the Philippine Daily Inquirer and CNN Philippines. His experience in broadcasting includes anchoring for Brigada News FM in Kidapawan and General Santos City and Brigada News TV. He anchors Tira Brigada via 105.1 Brigada News FM Manila, Mondays-Saturdays.