Duterte family braces for new impeachment bid vs VP Sara Duterte

The Duterte family is prepared for any potential political attacks against Vice President Sara Duterte, including a possible impeachment complaint expected from her critics.

Davao City 1st District Rep. Paolo Duterte, also known as Pulong, said the family has long anticipated renewed impeachment efforts as Feb. 6, 2026 approaches. The date marks the expiration of the one-year bar rule that prevents the filing of multiple impeachment complaints against the same official within a year.

Under Article XI, Section 3(5) of the 1987 Philippine Constitution, no impeachment proceedings may be initiated against the same official more than once within a one-year period. In 2025, the Supreme Court dismissed previous impeachment attempts against the vice president. The high court ruled that the House of Representatives violated both the one-year bar rule and Duterte’s right to due process.

Read More:  Danger-level heat index expected in several areas across the country

Rep. Duterte also said that the Commission on Audit had already cleared Vice President Duterte of allegations related to her use of confidential and intelligence funds. These fund-related issues were among the main grounds cited by critics during earlier impeachment efforts.

Read More:  NBI says Senate shooting suspect was only volunteer

Paolo Duterte is currently in Europe and was reported to be at the International Criminal Court in The Hague to visit former President Rodrigo Duterte. He is expected to return to the Philippines in the coming days to resume his legislative duties in Congress.

As the one-year bar nears its end, political observers are closely watching whether fresh impeachment complaints will be filed against the vice president.