Bondi suspects not terror group members

Australian authorities have confirmed that the father-and-son suspects in the deadly Bondi Beach mass shooting acted on their own and were not members of any terrorist organization.

Officials identified the suspects as Sajid Akram and his son, Naveed, who are accused of killing 15 people during the attack on Dec. 14. Investigators said there is no evidence linking the two to any terrorist group.

Australian Federal Police Commissioner Krissy Barrett said authorities found no indication that the suspects were directed, assisted, or supported by other individuals. She said the investigation so far shows that the pair planned the attack independently.

Read More:  After 7.7 quake, Japan monitors aftershocks and structural safety across affected regions

Barrett added that investigators believe the shooting was carefully planned over several months. Authorities recovered images and videos indicating ISIS-inspired training, but stressed that this did not establish formal membership or operational ties to any extremist organization.

During the incident, Sajid Akram was killed. His 24-year-old son, Naveed, survived and remains in custody. He is facing multiple charges, including murder and other serious criminal offenses connected to the attack.

Authorities said the investigation remains ongoing as they continue to review evidence related to the planning and execution of the shooting.

Read More:  After 7.7 quake, Japan monitors aftershocks and structural safety across affected regions

In response to the tragedy, Sydney officials announced changes to New Year’s Eve activities. Celebrations in the city will pause at 11 p.m. for a minute of silence to honor the victims of the Bondi Beach attack.

Earlier, the Philippine Bureau of Immigration confirmed that the father and son had traveled to the Philippines for about one month before the shooting occurred. Australian authorities did not indicate that the trip was connected to the attack.

Officials reiterated that the case is being handled as a criminal investigation, not a terrorism-related incident.