Barangay captain’s son arrested in ₱7.5M shabu buy-bust in Cebu

A suspected drug dealer will spend the New Year in jail after authorities seized more than ₱7 million worth of suspected shabu during a buy-bust operation in Bogo City, Cebu.

Police identified the arrested suspect as alias “Ed,” 34, who was apprehended on Sunday, Dec. 28, in Barangay San Pedro. His alleged companion, known only as alias “Steve,” managed to escape during the operation.

Recovered from the suspect was 1,117 grams of suspected shabu with an estimated street value of ₱7,595,600, according to police.

Read More:  68-year-old Cebu grandfather jailed over alleged begging freed after viral story

In an interview with Brigada News FM Bogo, Police Lt. Ricky Batiansila said the suspect had been under police surveillance for about two weeks before the buy-bust operation was carried out.

Batiansila added that the arrested suspect is reportedly the son of a barangay captain in the city, a detail that has drawn public attention following the arrest.

Authorities did not provide further information on the role of the suspect’s companion or the circumstances that led to his escape. Police said follow-up operations are ongoing to locate and arrest the remaining suspect.

Read More:  Wind power firm ordered to halt operations over permit violations

The seized illegal drugs were secured as evidence, while the arrested suspect was taken into custody by the Bogo City Police Station for proper documentation and filing of charges.

Police reiterated their commitment to continue operations against illegal drugs in the city, emphasizing that arrests are based on evidence gathered during surveillance and operations.

The suspect remains in police custody as authorities prepare the appropriate charges related to violations of the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act.